An article briefly covering the history of hour glasses beginning with their origin in the Clepsydra of the East. For the benefit of collectors, the author places hour glasses into catagories (Marine, Scientific and Culinary) with an historical overview in reverse time scale, beginning in the 20th century.
Illustrations as follows:
1. Marine 14 second log glass, c.1880
2. Scientific 15 minute glass, late 19th century
3. Victorian 3 minute egg boiler
4. Marine 28 seconds log glass, "Ocean Chief", c.1865
5. Hour glass, oak frame, early 18th century
6. 3-minute glass, late 18th century